Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Boyer Raises the Bar

Boyer raises bar again

North Country native sets new Pan-Am weightlifting records
















Press-Republican

MONTREAL — Barb Boyer is pretty adept at lifting the weight of the world from her shoulders.


Indeed, the Champlain native is now a world record-holder in two age groups.

Boyer, who now lives and trains in Alburg, Vt., added to amazing list of accomplishments two weeks ago in the Pan-American Masters Weightlifting Championships in Montreal. She won best lifter in her age group (65-plus) and all six lifts established new Pan-American records for her grop and weight class.

"I made all of my attempts (6 for 6 lifts)," she related.

"My best snatch lift was 36 kilograms and my best clean & jerk lift was 48 kilograms for a total of 84 kilograms. All lifts and totals were new Pan-American records."

There were nine women in Boyer's session.

"This was the fourth Pan-American Masters I've entered in the nine years I've been competing in Olympic-style weightlifting and I now hold records in two age groups," Boyer added.

Boyer, who trains in Fort Myers, Fla. in the winter at CrossFit Thoroughbreds, will take a short break before preparing for the American Masters Weightlifting Championships to be held in Savannah, Ga. in November.

"After a short rest and then a brief fitness maintenance period, I will begin a training program in mid-August to prepare for that competition," she explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment