Monday, May 26, 2008

"Older" folks considering Crossfit...

Hey CrossFitters,

Pass this on to anyone that thinks their too old to exercise or it's only for the young. CrossFit is for everyone.

Enjoy,
Jeremy Barnett

"Older" folks considering Crossfit...
For any of us "older" folk who have looked at the CrossFit site and thought," I can't do that, this program is for the 20 to 30 year old athlete", let me be the first to tell you that this is the best exercise program I have ever encountered. I'm 49 years old and have been doing Crossfit (scaled) for about two months. I can only speak from personal experience but this is what Crossfit has done for me:Went from 201 lbs to 180 ( dropped down two pant sizes)Gave me a BP of 95/70 and a resting heart rate of 56 bpm at my last govt.physicalWent from struggling to do 4 strict pullups to pulling 10.Enabled me to deadlift more than my own bodyweightTook me from being totally gassed at three sets of Cindy to completing 10 sets before Pukie came into the room.This program gives you exactly what the Coach says it will. FUNCTIONAL FITNESS. The ability to not only carry your own groceries to the car but also put a roof on the barn, carry an injured person on a stretcher for long distances, and run up five flights of stairs without needing supplemental oxygen at the end. As Mr. Rippletoe stated in a previous article from the CF Journal, I don't make strength gains as quickly as I did in my 20's, but I still make them. I sleep better, eat better, and just generally walk around feeling better everyday on the CF program. I try to tell the younger guys I work with that running 3 miles every other day and staying with the same weight training routines will get them the same thing it did me. Marginal or no results. You want to get in the best shape of your life, whether 25 years old or a "geezer" like me, do CrossFit.Lastly, I'd like to personally thank the Coach and all the staff at Crossfit for putting this program out there. I know it has made my life better and I know it can do the same for anyone, no matter how old you are.

Irvine McDougal


Irvin,I totally agree,Croosfit will help all ages.I've been at it for 2 years and I'm 51. This is by far the best training out there. The strength isn't as good as I would like ,but I'm working on that.As far as Miss 'Cindy' the last go around for me was 20 rounds.PR is 22.3 months ago I got my wife into CF,shes 49. She has been making great progress .She just needs to get out of the 'comfort zone'.Steve Lobotsky



Amen, brothers and sisters.At 52, I'm in the best shape of my life, and it's a gas being able to plan a cross-country cycling trip and cross-state hiking trip and know I have the stamina and strength to do these fun things. At first, Crossfit scared me, but it's fun trying to meet the challenges of these workouts. I'm getting stronger faster, and my conditioning is through the roof.Since the lifts---along with pull-ups---are the most challenging things for me to do, I really appreciated watching Jimmy's birthday video today. Sally's no slouch, either...Susie Rosenburg



I'm going to be 50 in June....Let the young ones have their fun. I'm younger than most of them. Since I revamped my fitness and diet regime I've lost 60 pounds; and now since I started CF I am getting ready to lose 25 more.At times I train with my 20 something clients. Some can't keep up; others who do are shocked. When I was doing submission grappling my opponents thought "hey the old guy should be easy". ----Bring on AARP!

Mark Cotton



This is good to hear and look forward to in 20 years.I can remember at one seminar watching a 65yo man outdoing optional teenage female gymnasts at a seminar in pullup and front lever progressions. Immediately I thought, I want to be that strong when I'm his age.

Blair Robert Lowe

It's never too late to start. Check us out at www.cf-tb.com

CrossFit Thoroughbreds "Xtreme Fitness For Xtreme People"
www.cf-tb.com
239-851-3940

Jeremy Barnett, ISSA-CFT, Co-Founder
crossfittb@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment